October 4, 2018 QUEEN'S PARK -- In question period on Thursday, local MPP Percy Hatfield (Windsor-Tecumseh) said that the Government is giving hospitals $10 million less to cope with flu season than they received last year, meaning hospital overcrowding in Windsor will go from bad to worse when flu season sets in.
“Windsor Regional Hospital has struggled with overcrowding for years – and now things are getting even worse,” said Hatfield. “The Met campus is at 99 per cent capacity and the Ouellette campus is at 106 per cent. Wait times in the ER are unbearable. There’s no room – so patients are left on gurneys in the hallways.
“It’ll only get worse when the flu season hits.”
“When will this government do the right thing once and for all and give Windsor hospitals the funding they need to get patients out of the hallways and into the hospital beds they deserve?” asked Hatfield.
This week, Windsor Regional Hospital CEO David Musyj issued a statement to staff outlining high occupancy rates at the Metropolitan campus and Ouellette campus, adding that 11 patients are waiting for a bed in the emergency department at the Ouellette campus. The Government announced that this year’s hospital funding for flu season will actually be $10 million less than last year’s funding, with no permanent solution to fix hospital overcrowding throughout Ontario.