Percy Hatfield MPP, Windsor-Tecumseh

Government of Ontario

Service and assistance

Who can apply for subsidized housing? (click the orange arrow)

The following applies for each member of the household:

Each member must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant (permanent resident), or refugee;

At least one person in your household must be 16 years of age or older and be able to live independently;

If you or any member of the household has arrears owing to any social housing provider in Ontario, Access to Housing will require confirmation that the member has entered into an agreement with the housing provider for repayment of the arrears before your application is processed;

Your application will be rejected if any member of the household has been convicted in court or at the Ontario Rental Tribunal within the last two (2) years of an offence related to rent-geared-to-income housing under section 85 of the SHRA or a crime under the Criminal Code of Canada in relation to rent-geared-to-income assistance.

If anyone in your household has a financial interest in another home anywhere in the world, you must agree, in writing, to divest yourself of the property within one (1) year of getting housed. You do not have to make this decision before you apply but you will have to make it before you get housed.





Windsor Essex Community Housing Corporation

519-254-1681 945 McDougall Street

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

N9A 1L9

Windsor Essex CHC provides well-maintained, safe and affordable community housing in a respectful and fair manner.


Housing Information Services

 519-254-4824 3450 Ypres Avenue, Suite 200

Windsor, Ontario, N8W 5K9

Housing Information Services of Windsor & Essex County Inc. (HIS) is a dynamic service consisting of extensive one-on-one client assistance in Homelessness Prevention, Housing Retention, Energy Assistance, Rent Subsidy Assistance, Transitional Housing, Networking, Referrals, Education, Advocacy and Landlord Support Services.


Central Housing Registry - Windsor

2470 Dougall Avenue, Unit 6

Windsor, Ontario


N8X 1T2

Phone:  519-254-6994

Fax:  519-254-9166

Email:  [email protected]

Central Housing Registry — Windsor Essex County (CHR-WEC) assists applicants in Windsor and Essex County seeking accommodation in social housing through the use of a coordinated access system. Low income families, individuals and seniors may apply. This is a free service for applicants.

The coordinated access system allows households who want to apply for social housing in

Windsor and Essex County, one location to go to and apply for all social housing providers listed with the CHR-WEC. There are 39 Housing Providers using the CHR-WEC lists.


CITY OF WINDSOR – Housing and Children’s Services

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 428, Station A Windsor, Ontario N9A 6L7

Located at: 400 City Hall Square, Windsor, Ontario N9A 7K6

Tel: 519-255-5200 extension 6240

Fax: 519-256-7107

For general information please call 311.


Social Housing provides direction and support to 39 Social Housing Providers, to ensure

program and legislative compliance, as prescribed by provincial rules and the Social Housing

Reform Act, 2000 and Regulations.



180 Tecumseh Road East, Windsor, Ontario N8X 2P8

Tel: (519) 977-7782

Fax: (519) 977-1820

Area Served: Windsor

Target Group: Native ancestry, Status, Non-status, Métis and Inuit

Application: Application process required

Services: Tenant liaison serving tenants and applicants

Program: Private Non-Profit – 84 single family income geared homes – scattered

throughout the city of Windsor – 1 accessible unit.



3064 Devon Drive, Windsor, Ontario N8X 4L2

Tel: (519) 969-3762

Fax: (519) 969-7832

Web Site:

Area Served: Windsor and Essex County

Target Group: Families on fixed or low incomes are eligible

Applications: Application process required

Services: Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

No fees

Language(s): English


Program: The organization builds and renovates homes for needy families under the Habitat for

Humanity program. The families chosen must invest “sweat equity” during the construction of

the home and then pay off an interest-free mortgage to help fund future projects.

We can help inthe community office if you need assistance with your case file at the Family Responsibility Office.  To go to the government of Ontario site, click here.

Our office can assist you with a number of matters related to health and long-term care (click the orange arrow).

A resident of Ontario must have a health card to show that he or she is entitled to health care services paid for by OHIP. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for a wide range of services, however, it does not pay for services that are not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery.

Eligibility for OHIP

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
  • Physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • Physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
  • Make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

Finding a Family Doctor – Health Care Connect

Health Care Connect helps Ontarians who are without a family health care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) to find one. People without a family health care provider are referred to a family doctor or a nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients in their community.  To find out more information about Health Care Connect, click here.

Finding Long-term Care

Arranging care for yourself or a family member will involve a number of steps. This section of the website describes the process for arranging care, and the role you can play in the process. See the Arranging Care page for more details.

Your local Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) can help. CCACs are provincially-funded agencies that provide Long-Term Care information and referral services in your area. The information is provided free of charge. To locate the CCAC nearest you, use our CCAC Locator.

To find a suitable long-term care home, this search engine will help you.  If you require any assistance with finding a long-term care space, please contact my office..

When completing your income tax return, there are three Ontario forms that are of particular interest (click orange arrow).

Call or visit your local Ontario Works office for information regarding Ontario Works & Ontario Disability Support Program.  Click the orange arrow for local information.

At the beginning of the application process, you will receive information about the Ontario Disability Support Program/Ontario Works. You will also be told which information and documents may be needed to complete the application process. You will need:

  • Health Card Number
  • Social Insurance Number
  • Proof of Identity and Date of Birth
  • Employment History/Information
  • Income and Asset Statements
  • Shelter Costs
  • Status in Canada and Dependent Information

The application process is completed in person at your local ODSP/Ontario Works office. You will be required to complete and sign all necessary forms, including the application for assistance, and a participation agreement outlining the specific employment activities you may participate in. You will also need to provide any required information and documents.



Ministry of Community and Social Services
Ontario Disability Support Program
Income and Employment Supports
270 Erie Street East
PO Box 1810, Station A
Windsor ON N9A 7E3

Tel: (519) 254-1651
Toll Free: 1-800-387-7327
TDD/TTY: (519) 254-4850
Fax: (519) 255-7976



Ontario Works
call 311 for general information. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-5200.
Fax: (519) 255-1011 or (519) 255-1503
Email: [email protected]
400 City Hall Sq. S, Windsor, ON N9A 6L7


If you would like assistance from our community office with your existing ODSP or OW file, please email us at [email protected] or call 519-251-5199.

Your first point of contact for help with applying for OSAP is the Financial Aid Office of the school you are applying to. Out-of-province students can get help by calling 1-877-OSAP411 (1-877-672-7411) during business hours.

The maximum grant/loan amounts for a typical two-term academic year are:

  • $12,240 for full-time single students with no dependents
  • $19,040 for full-time students who are married or in a common-law relationship or a sole-support parent

Plus, for that two-term academic year, your annual debt is capped at $7,300, even if you get more in loans. Loans are interest-free while you're studying, and for six months after you graduate.

Find out more about how OSAP can help you pay for your education.

30% Off Ontario Tuition Rebate

The 30% Off Ontario Tuition provides:

  • $1680 for university and college degree students
  • $770 for college diploma and certificate students

You could be eligible for 30% off your student tuition if:

  • You’re a full-time student at a public college or university in Ontario
  • It’s been less than four years since you left high school
  • You’re in a program that you can apply to directly from high school
  • You’re a resident of Ontario
  • Your parents’ gross income is $160,000 or less

Please review the OSAP website for more information.




University of Windsor

Financial Aid Office location:

NE Corner of Sunset Avenue and Fanchette Avenue

(519) 253-3000, ext. 3300

[email protected]


Mailing address:

401 Sunset Avenue

Windsor, ON N9B 3P4


St Clair College

Financial Aid Office at:

519-972-2718 or

[email protected]


Financial Aid Office:

Room 166 (South)

Do you need assistance preparing a petition for the Ontario legislature? (click orange arrow)

You can go to the Ontario legislative page for instructions on petitions by clicking here:

If you need assistance preparing your petition, please contact our office at [email protected] or 519-251-5199.


Click the orange arrow for local School Board contacts.

451 Park Street West
P.O. Box 210
Windsor ON
N9A 6K1
Phone: (519) 255-3200
Or 1-888-779-7735

Transportation Inquiries: 519-776-6431


School Board Trustees:

Connie Buckler
Representing the Town of Lakeshore and the Town of Tecumseh
[email protected]

Alan Halberstadt
Wards 3, 4 and 10
[email protected]

Tom Kilpatrick
Representing Wards 3, 4 and 10
[email protected]

Cheryl Lovell
Representing Wards 5, 6, 7, and 8
[email protected]

Gale Simko-Hatfield
Representing Wards 5, 6, 7 and 8
[email protected]


Looking for a Service Ontario location nearbyÉ  (Click the orange arrow)

Service Ontario (East Side)

7755 Tecumseh Rd E #100,

Windsor, ON N8T 1G3

(519) 974-6050


Service Ontario

2437 Dougall Ave

Windsor, ON N8X 1T3

(519) 969-8500


Service Ontario

400 City Hall Square E #205

Windsor, ON N9A 7K6

(416) 326-1234

Representative of the different levels and branches of government will send special congratulatory greetings and/or certificates to people celebrating significant birthdays, wedding anniversaries, or other events.  Click the orange arrow for more information.

If you or someone you know will soon be celebrating a special birthday or anniversary, or commemorating a special event, you can request special greetings by sending an e-mail to our office.

NOTE: The recipient or requestor must live in the riding, and scroll requests will only be processed if the recipient is a resident of Ontario.

Here is the criteria:

The Queen will send a congratulatory letter on:

  • a 60th wedding anniversary and all subsequent anniversaries; or
  • a 100th birthday and all subsequent birthdays.

Requests for The Queen’s greetings must be submitted at least three (3) months in advance and requires proof of date of birth or marriage, whichever is applicable (a copy of the birth certificate or marriage certificate is required).

The Governor-General will send a congratulatory letter on:

  • a 50th wedding anniversary and all subsequent anniversaries; or
  • a 90th birthday and all subsequent birthdays.

Requests for the Governor-General’s greetings must be submitted at least three (3) months in advance.

The Prime Minister of Canada will send a congratulatory letter on:

  • a 25th or 50th wedding anniversary and all subsequent anniversaries in 5 year intervals; or
  • a 65th or 70th birthday and all subsequent birthdays in 5 year intervals.

Requests for the Prime Minister’s greetings must be submitted at least two (2) months in advance.

The Premier of Ontario will send a congratulatory letter on:

  • a 40th wedding anniversary and all subsequent anniversaries; or
  • an 80th birthday and all subsequent birthdays.

Requests for the Premier’s greetings must be submitted at least two (2) months in advance.  Please note that congratulatory letters will not be issued more than once every five (5) years.

Your Member of Provincial Parliament, will send a congratulatory letter on:

  • Any birthday or wedding anniversary; or
  • Any celebratory occasion.

Requests for the MPP's greetings must be submitted as early as possible.

About the Board and the Residential Tenancies Act

  • What does the Landlord and Tenant Board do?
  • Who is covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (the Act)?
  • How can I talk to someone about the Act?
  • Where can I get a copy of the Residential Tenancies Act (the Act)?
  • Where can I get copies of the Landlord and Tenant Board’s forms and brochures?

Starting a Tenancy

  • Can a landlord ask a person applying for a rental unit to provide information about their income, credit references and rental history?
  • Do landlords and tenants have to have a written lease or tenancy agreement?
  • What information should be included in a tenancy agreement?
  • Can I get a lease or rental application from the Landlord and Tenant Board?
  • What information does a landlord have to give to a new tenant?
  • Can a landlord charge a person a deposit or a fee for allowing them to rent a unit?
  • Can the landlord refuse to rent to a person if they have a pet?

Maintenance and Repair

  • Who is responsible for maintaining the unit?
  • Can a tenant withhold rent because their landlord isn’t properly maintaining their building or unit?
  • What should a tenant do if repairs are needed to their building or unit?
  • Can a tenant pay their rent to the Board if their landlord isn’t properly maintaining their building or unit?
  • Who is responsible for snow removal?
  • Who is responsible for garbage removal?
  • When does a landlord have to turn the heat on?  What temperature does my landlord have to keep my apartment at?
  • What can a tenant do if their landlord does not turn on the heat?
  • Does a landlord have to renovate a rental unit before a tenant moves in?  Or, renovate it after the tenant has lived there a couple of years?

Entering the Tenant’s Unit

  • Can the landlord enter a tenant’s unit?
  • Can a tenant refuse to let the landlord in if the landlord wants to enter their unit?
  • What can happen if a landlord enters a unit illegally?
  • Can a tenant change the locks?
  • Can the landlord change the locks?


  • How is the rent on a rental unit decided?
  • How often can my rent be increased?
  • How much can a landlord legally increase the rent this year?
  • Does a landlord have to notify a tenant of a rent increase?
  • Does a landlord have to give rent receipts?
  • What information must be provided in a receipt?
  • When is rent considered late?
  • If a tenant is late with their rent, what can the landlord do?

Rent Deposits and Other Charges

  • Can a landlord charge a person a deposit or a fee to rent a unit?
  • Can a landlord ask a tenant to pay money to update their rent deposit?
  • Does a landlord have to pay interest if a rent deposit is collected?
  • Can a landlord ask for a deposit for keys?
  • Can the landlord charge for additional or replacement keys?
  • If the landlord changes the locks, can the landlord charge the tenant for the new keys?
  • Can the landlord charge the tenant a damage deposit?
  • Can a landlord charge a fee if a tenant’s rent cheque is returned NSF?

How a Tenant Can End a Tenancy

  • How much notice does a tenant have to give if they want to move out?
  • Can a tenant break a lease?
  • What is the difference between assigning and subletting a unit?
  • How can a tenant sublet their unit?
  • What happens if a tenant assigns or sublets their unit without the landlord’s consent?

How a Landlord Can Evict a Tenant

  • What is the process for evicting a tenant?
  • Can a tenant be evicted without a hearing?
  • Can a tenant be evicted in the winter?
  • For what reasons can a landlord evict a tenant?
  • Can a landlord evict a tenant for having a pet?
  • Can a tenant be evicted for having a roommate?
  • Can a tenant be evicted if the landlord wants to use the unit themselves?
  • Can a tenant be evicted if the landlord sells the house and the purchaser wants to move in?
  • Can a tenant be evicted for something that their roommate or a guest they allow into the rental unit does?
  • What can a tenant do if the landlord gives them a Notice of Termination?

Abandoned Unit

  • If the tenant didn’t give notice that they were leaving, but the landlord believes the tenant has left the rental unit – can the landlord change the locks and re-rent the unit?
  • What can a landlord do with property that is left in the unit after the tenant has moved out or been evicted?

Applications to the Board

  • How can I file an application with the Board?
  • How much does an application cost?
  • How can I pay for an application?
  • How will I know if an application has been filed against me?
  • What can I do if an application is filed against me?
  • If the landlord files an eviction application about non-payment of rent, can a tenant stop the eviction process before the hearing?

Hearings at the Board

  • What happens at a hearing?
  • What issues can a tenant raise at a hearing of a landlord’s application based on non-payment of rent?
  • Do I need a lawyer or agent?
  • Does the Board supply an interpreter at hearings?
  • Can I ask someone else to go to the hearing in my place?
  • What if the hearing date is not good for me – can I have it moved to another day?
  • What happens if I am late for my hearing?
  • What happens if I do not attend my hearing?
  • Does the Board always hold a hearing to resolve an application?

Board Decisions

  • How do I find out about the decision on my application?
  • If I don’t agree with the decision that is made, is there anything that I can do?
  • What is an ex parte order and how can it be set aside?
  • What can be done if the landlord or tenant refuses to pay the other any money they were ordered to pay by the Board?
  • What can a landlord do if the tenant does not move out of the unit by the date set out in the eviction order?

The Workplace Safety & Insurance Act governs the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB).

This Act requires that any person acting as a representative for an injured worker be either: a lawyer, a paralegal, a representative of a trade union, or a member of the Office of the Worker Advisor. Although my office is exempt from this provision, my staff are not properly trained to represent workers. This means that we cannot represent you.

However, we are able to assist you with finding the representation you deserve. Although we are unable to represent you at hearings, we are still able to review your claim file and make recommendations.

Visit the WSIB Ontario website for more information.

WSIB Windsor Office

2485 Ouellette Avenue
Windsor, ON
N8X 1L5
Phone: 416-344-1000
Phone: 1-800-387-0750
Fax: 1-888-313-7373 / 416-344-4684


Office of the Worker Adviser
Windsor Office

100 Ouellette Avenue
10th Floor
Windsor, ON N9A 6T3
Tel.: (519) 254-7558
Fax: (519) 254-1741
Toll Free: 1-800-265-5649


Employment Standards Office

4510 Rhodes Drive, Suite 610
Windsor ON N8W 5K5
Tel: 519-256-8277 or 1-800-265-5140
Fax: 519-258-1321