The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit announced 113 new COVID-19 cases today. Of the new cases, 27 are related to outbreaks, five are being blamed on close contact with another confirmed case, two are considered community spread, and 79 are under investigation. There are now 890 active cases in our region, bringing our total number to 5,012 with 57 people in the hospital, including 12 in the ICU, 4,031 resolved cases, and 91 deaths. The health unit noted that it only took 10 days for our region to go from 4,000 to 5,000 cases. The province reported 2,139 cases of COVID-19 today. On Tuesday there were 2,275 cases, on Monday there were 1,940 cases, on Sunday there were 1,677 cases, and on Saturday there were 1,873 cases.
The local health unit has updated their numbers for the outbreak at Village at St. Clair, a for-profit long-term care home. There are 53 cases in residents and 31 cases in staff reported. The provincial government is sitting on $12 BILLION in COVID relief money, and our caucus has continually called on the provincial government for more direct funding and resources to fight outbreaks in our long-term care and retirement homes. Workers at Village at St. Clair were told by the owners they won’t get an N95 mask unless they sign a waiver agreeing that the company isn’t liable for failing to give them a mask that fits. We are calling on the government to take immediate action to take over the management of this home, and to guarantee access to properly fitted N95 masks for every staff member. We need to hire more personal support workers, make their jobs full-time, and pay them better. We need to ensure there is a minimum standard staffing level of four hours of hands-on care per day per resident. We have also released a plan to take the profit out of long-term care, and create a new, public and non-profit system where every dollar goes directly to residents — not to corporate profits.
The Ontario government has asked hospitals to prepare to use their surge capacity as COVID-19 case numbers continue to rise steadily. Windsor Regional Hospital President and CEO, David Musyj, says this request is consistent with what is already in place at WRH. You can read more here.
Windsor Regional Hospital, City of Windsor, and County of Essex have offered some of their employees as contact tracers to address the shortage our region faces. The local health unit had hinted that they may ask COVID positive patients to call their contacts directly, but is planning to present a specified plan to their board of directors tomorrow. You can read more here.
A positive case of COVID-19 has been identified at St. Mary Catholic Elementary School in Maidstone, Centennial Central Public School in Comber, and an outbreak has been declared within a cohort at L.A. Desmarais Catholic Elementary School, with two confirmed cases in one classroom. The entire class cohort is considered at high-risk and the local health unit is working with the school and the school board to notify all those affected.
Three new cases of COVID-19 were reported at the University of Windsor today. The three new cases are not related to each other, nor are they related to other previously reported cases. The individuals are self-isolating and cleaning measures have been taken, according to a release from the University.
An inspector from the Ministry of Labour has been assigned to investigate a potential exposure to a positive case of COVID-19 at the Chrysler Windsor Assembly Plant after receiving a complaint. The local health unit has said that they have not been made aware of any potential exposures at the plant. You can read the full article here.
The City of Windsor will receive more than $19 million in funding from the provincial government to support financial impacts associated with the COVID-19 pandemic under the province’s Safe Restart Program. You can read more here.
Please continue to wear a face mask when out in public, continue to practice physical distancing of two metres from others, and wash your hands often.